Luckily for me, the first chiropractic clinic I visited met and exceeded my expectations. They were my first stop simply because they were located closest to me, but there were several others options available in the Northwest Arkansas area that I had found after a quick Google search. This worked out well for me, but others may not find their quest for the right chiropractor quite as easy. There are a wide range of chiropractic philosophies and techniques, and it is important to select what is best for you. Because chiropractic treatment is based on physical manipulation, this is something that cannot be taken lightly. You should feel at ease and comfortable communicating with the chiropractor you choose to work with, and consider how compatible their techniques are with your body. This is all ultimately based on your individual needs and preferences.
This post is to help you figure out where to begin searching, and how to figure out which chiropractor is best for you and the treatment of your condition.
- Ask your primary care physician for a recommendation. You can also seek advice from other healthcare professionals that you trust, such as your physical therapist or a specialist.
- Ask friends, family, and coworkers for recommendations.
- Search online for chiropractors in your area and read reviews if they are available. Remember to take into consideration both the good and bad reviews. What were people satisfied with, what did they feel was not up to their expectations? Dig deeper and look past the star rating to get a clearer picture. Take everything with a grain of salt, and if you have any concerns, remember to bring it up at your consultation.
Once you have narrowed the field down to a couple options, it is time to start making phone calls. Request a telephone or in-person consultation with the chiropractor to determine if you wish to proceed any further.
- Take this opportunity to learn more about the chiropractor, the clinic, their philosophy, and their techniques.
- If the consultation is in-person, take a look around at the clinic, setting, and staff, and consider whether you would feel comfortable coming there once a week or more for the next several months for treatment. This is an important factor that will contribute to an overall more pleasant and positive treatment experience for you.
- It is important be able to communicate effectively with your chiropractor. Consider:
- How easily you were able to build rapport
- How you felt you were treated throughout the consultation
- How carefully the doctor listened to your symptoms, concerns, and needs
- How clearly the chiropractor was able to answer your questions
These factors will all help to ensure a smoother course of treatment.
- Don’t be afraid to ask about your treating chiropractor’s educational background, years of experience, and areas of specialty.
- Ask if the chiropractor has experience treating conditions similar to yours
- Remember to ask about the techniques used and any equipment that is used to assist in treatment